The Government of Ontario recently announced that it is declaring a state of emergency under section 7.0.1 (1) the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act(“the EMCPA”). The Premier has indicated that this measure has been adopted with a view to using every power possible to continue to protect the health and safety of the Ontario public and to assist the health care sector in the fight to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Pursuant to the declaration, the Government has ordered the immediate closure of the following establishments:
- facilities providing indoor recreational programs
- public libraries
- private schools as defined in the Education Act
- licensed child care centres
- bars and restaurants, except to the extent that such facilities provide takeout food and delivery
- theatres including those offering live performances of music, dance, and other art forms, as well as cinemas that show movies
- concert venues
The Government has also prohibited the holding of organized public events of over 50 people, including parades, events and communal services including places of workshop.
Read full article here.